Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Facebook - Privacy Controls & Targeted Malware

Social media (like Facebook) is a great way to stay in touch with your family and friends.  There is nothing wrong with this and it is free to use.  Facebook has actually crossed generational gaps, where many of the young, old, and in-between love it.   I remember writing letters and mailing them home when I was younger.  The Privacy settings of the old fashioned letter writing was the envelope, but that did not protect you from the letter being delivered to the wrong person or the person on the other end publishing your letter in a newspaper. 

Facebook's Privacy Controls Broken

By Dan Tynan, May 03, 2010, Analysis: Inconsistency in controls raises (more) questions about Facebook's privacy options.

I've spent a fair amount of time lately messing about with Facebook's privacy settings, which is almost like having a life, but not quite. Then I discovered something odd and disturbing: I cannot make all of my "likes and interests" private so that only my friends can see them. Even when I tell Facebook to do it, it won't -- they're still visible to anyone who looks up my Facebook profile.

Is it a bug? Was it something I said? Was it all those jokes about Facebook causing venereal disease or because I published a nude photo of Mark Zuckerberg? I dunno. But whatever the reason, even with every single Facebook setting turned to "friends only," anyone on Facebook can still see the 128 groups I have joined on the site.

More…..

-and this.

A HijackThis Toolbar from Facebook?

By AndyAtHull, May 03, 2010

The title will come across as shocking if you are a security expert. However don’t let the title scare you too much.

Symantec today blogged about spam e-mail making the rounds that looks like the following hoping to lure recipients into downloading a Facebook toolbar:

(see the article for the pictures)

Excerpt-

So as you can see, there is some mentioned this file to be associated with HijackThis, an analysis tool by Trend Micro. Symantec detect this file as a Trojan.Dropper. HijackThis is a legit tool and Facebook have not released a toolbar dubbed HijackThis.

Be careful what you click on as some disguise themselves differently to others. And should you come across a suspicious e-mail, report it.

More….

When I say Facebook is free to use, you have to be careful with your Privacy settings, suspicious emails, and the links you click on.  Additionally, it seems like you have to re-check your Privacy settings frequently.   Defensio will help protect you against malicious links while using Facebook.  It is the one application that I will allow on Facebook.   It can also be used on your blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment